Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Dreaded Tangle Hair Cut

Everyone has their story.  Mine I can barely remember.  I think I was 3 or 4 when my brother cut my hair short.  I once nannied a girl her cut her hair to her scalp (not when I was watcher her - promise) and I've always feared Pey would one day have her own story. Luckily, this is not that story.

I really believe that Peytyn would never cut her hair or do anything intentional that would result it to be ruined or need to be cut short.  She adores her hair and after watching Tangled my guess is that she loves it even more and would fear of it changing color if she cut it herself.  I don't know that for sure, that's just a guess and I don't even dare have that conversation with her.

With that said, my dad had to cut her hair free from a tangled mess tonight. Before I tell the story I'll let you know that it isn't even noticeable or as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I brushed through it and braided it tonight and couldn't even find the the section that was cut.  Her hair is very long but the last few inches are layered and have only been trimmed twice in her life so that's why we don't need to go through and even it out.
Earlier tonight, I was in the garage with Pey, my mom and my dad.  My dad is working on his truck and he has all of his tools out.  Pey rolled the .. um .. scooter type thing, you know, the thing you lay on and then swivel yourself under the car to take a looksie?  Yeah, that thing.  She was laying on it and my dad needed it and since it was only a few feet from where my dad needed I thought Pey could go for a little ride.  I gently pushed it towards my dad and he grabbed the other end to guide it in the right direction.  Poor choice on our part.  We saw it once it happened and stopped right away.  Her precious hair and rolled up into a wheel and was tangled in there pretty good.  
My parents and I stood for a second, a little shocked but also knew that we couldn't freak out since that would cause Pey to freak out in return.  And the fact that this happened to her hair was even a bigger deal for me and I knew would be for her as well.  The .. um .. rolly thing (my dad later informed me after writing this that it's called a "creeper"? Go Craftsman!) .. is about Pey's height so we stood her up and the tool followed with her.  Pey hugged me as she cried and my mom held up the tool as my dad checked out the hair in the wheel.  Within a few moments we had realized that it would need to be cut loose.  I was already tearing up since Pey was crying and I'm very emotionally attached to her hair.  I said I wanted to take a look before they cut it and it just needed to be done.  We needed to just get it over with and be done with it.  My dad cut her hair as I envisioned in my mind the jagged, short mess that I thought would be a result.  Buuuuuuut it was okay.  It was a small portion of her hair and again, the layering on the bottom of her is already staggered that it's not noticeable.  If her hair was cut straight and perfect, then for sure it would need an all over trim to even it out. 

Thank goodness.

After her hair was cut loose my dad pulled the tool away to hide the hair in the wheel from Pey.  We knew she would freak out if she knew we had cut it (plus we didn't want to give her any ideas).  After we went back inside I put french braids into her hair.  Gotta start keeping it more tame I guess! 

No comments:

Post a Comment