Saturday, June 22, 2013

Delta... #neveragain

So .. something annoying happened today.  It's actually been going on for 24 hours now and to me as a customer feel like things shouldn't be so hard to fix.  But then again, what do I know?  I don't work for Delta and so I'm a bit ignorant to how things work.

I will say though that I used to work at the call center for Netflix.  So I get it. I understand.  I would get a lot of calls about how to troubleshoot different devices people used to watch movies and shows on Instant Watch and to help someone with mailing issues.  The calls that were stressful and not so fun were the ones dealing with money.  Some people didn't realize that their free trial would turn into a monthly subscription and would be charged the following month the $7.99 fee.  Which is understandable, I mean who reads the terms and conditions anyways?  So of course I would refund their money and cancel for them.  No big deal.  But the calls that were..ugh..you know, "not fun" were the ones where people who signed up, used it but hadn't for awhile and are now upset that they were being charged for the past six months for something they don't use.  We had guidelines and things for reimbursing money so that made things easier but still not super fun.  So I get it.  I understand.  However, airline tickets and fees are way more expensive than a DVD and IW subscription so my emotions since yesterday are probably more heightened than someone calling about a $7.99 charge.

Before I share details of this mess I'll say that I made a few mistakes on my end and will own up to them.  One being that I should've booked through Southwest a month ago when rates were great and bags fly free.  Plus in the past when I've needed to adjust my flights it was super easy and stress free since Southwest doesn't nickel and dime.  The second mistake I made was not calling the Delta the following day after my flight was booked.  I knew I needed to call to change mine and Pey's seats on our returning flight so we can sit next to each other but no .. I waited to do it a few days later which meant fees and price changes and things (not related to our seats though).

Alright, so I have the Fourth of July week off of work so Rick and I decided that Peytyn and I should go to Utah for a visit.  We put off purchasing tickets so we bit the bullet and just went with what would keep Pey and me there the longest.  So I call yesterday to change our seats on our returning flight, which went smoothly buuuuuuut that's when I found out our flight there was too early.  Rick and I had discussed a flight around 5 or so since I had work Thursday.  We're not sure what went wrong but obviously the wrong flight was checked when purchasing them online.  Again, a mistake on our part.  Something that we're both normally OCD about but yet it slipped.  Lesson learned.  Had I called the following day it would've been fixed with less stress but likely the price difference would've been in play but there's no way to tell about that now.

But here's where it gets annoying.  Rick called last night to change the flight and there's this ridiculous $200/person fee to change the flight along with the $84/person flight cost difference.  He talked to a supervisor and had the fee waived and they took his card info and we thought we were set.  I thought it was odd that I hadn't received an email confirmation last night but had plans on calling back today to change our seats so wasn't too worried about it, I would just request one then.

Um so..I called today.  My 1:27 flight on Thursday was still set.  "WHAT. I'm gonna go nuts." was Rick's text response when I told him my flight hadn't changed.  I tell the service rep that my boyfriend had called the night before and talked to a supervisor to change the flight and her response was that it shows on the computer he called and talked to a supervisor but no actions were done.  So I ask for a supervisor because that is totally unacceptable.  The service rep was nice and I could've completed the transaction then and there but I wanted to know why it hadn't gone through.  So I talk to a supervisor and she was....not my favorite person.  I personally think when it comes to call centers that less words you use, the better.  Plus the way she talked was really "bratty".  (Keeping wording here clean.) I explained to her it was uncomforting that Rick called the night before to change the flight and they took his card information but it wasn't processed.  If I hadn't called to change our seats then I would've potentially missed my flight on Thursday.  The more likely scenario was that my world would've been rocked Wednesday when I was preparing for the things the following day and found out then.  Worst case scenario being having to ditch Cassie at work to assist all the double root canals we have booked already plus anyone else we get in before taking a week vacation.  And that already happened once during Christmas due to a similar thing happening and I'm not about to do it again.

Really, the only thing here that I have a major issue with is not having this all processed yesterday.  That really irks me.  Since that happened I feel "entitled" to be compensated in some sort of way.  But that's silly, Delta is greedy.

So..we learn a few things.  One, book your flight as early as possible. Two, fly Southwest.  They always seem to have the best rates and bags fly free (which is now a big deal for me since I flew Alaska Airlines a few weeks ago and had to pay for my bag then.  Plus there's no way I'm doing a carry on when I already have Pey to worry about and we'll be there for long enough that I need a large bag for us). Three, Delta shouldn't nickel and dime.  I understand paying for the difference in price of the tickets, but the $200/person fee is bogus and I'm guessing they waive it often anyways. Four, long distance relationships suck.  Hopefully we'll be able to work a better solution for that in the future.

Oh and I will for sure call back in a few hours to make sure 100% that this is all set now.  A good sign already is that I got the confirmation email but there's no trust with this airline relationship anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment