Thursday, June 20, 2013

Instagram Vs. Vine

If you haven't see on Facebook or been notified by Instagram within the app, Instagram is now capable of sharing videos.  I watched the live event (click here to watch) and during that event, it was revealed the Instagram can now share videos starting today (including Android).

During the event you also hear about the history of Instagram and other cool facts as well.  I find those things interesting personally so I thought that was neat to learn about as well as this new feature.  They had stated that early on when developing this app in the beginning, video was part of the function of the app.  But it was removed because they felt that if you're going to have a certain feature, it better be done right.  I definitely agree to that and believe they have been working on this before Vine was released. It takes a long time to build something like this and although many people aren't saying it, some have mentioned Instagram [copying] Vine.  One dude I follow on Vine, Marcus Johns (who is frikkin hilarious) posted this Vine shortly after the new reveal:



I'll tell you this right now, I will keep my Vine app because of users like Marcus Johns (Eric Stonestreet, Morgan Swank, Lance210, etc.) because again, frikkin hilarious. But I will say my use of it will be limited.  Mostly because I already have followers and I'm already following so many on Instagram and the features it holds are cooler than Vine..who really has no features at all.  

Like I mentioned before, it's nice that I already have the people I follow already in one spot and don't have to worry about going through and finding them all on another app..that's obnoxious and not worth my time.

Something I am excited to see is how businesses use this feature.  I already follow Taco Bell on Vine and they posted this yesterday:



And of course advertisements get annoying over time and whatever .. but I love creativity especially when it comes to business and I enjoy seeing what people come up with.  And if any of them get annoying they'll just get an unfollow.  ;-) It will be fun to see what Nike and Aritzia (a few other businesses that create awesome posts) come up with.  And I'm here dying of jealousy as my friend who works for Nike and runs Nike's Instagram and Twitter gets to do all these fun things for it!  #DudeIWantYourJob

A feature that I'm very excited about is Cinema .. as a parent most of my videos are all over the place trying to keep up with Pey running around and being all cute so I appreciate this so very much.  I'm just sad I can't import old Vines into Instagram to convert them to be more stable!  

While there are these new features such as the length is up to 15 seconds (compared to Vine's six seconds), the 13 new filters, Cinema and having the option to delete the last segment that you added to your video, I love simple it still is.  It's easy to get overwhelmed with different options that apps can have and having the screen be cluttered with buttons and making it more complicated than it needs to be.  So thank you Instagram developers for keeping it as simple as possible while offering the many features to make it complete.  They could have easily kept it simple with just the capture mode and no other features and then add them on over time to keep us updating our app (or even make up pay for a full version - which would be laaaaaaame).  But no, they did what they said; they released it when it was fully developed and functional.  There's still potential for them to add more filters and editing options but I feel like it will be awhile before they roll out another update (unless there are bugs they need to fix).

One last thing I want to add (that I almost forgot!) was about looping.  On Vine every video loops and keeps going and going and going.  At first I was surprised that Instagram didn't have loop enabled and then my feelings shifted to that maybe they were trying to stay "different" than Vine .. but ultimately I settled on the feelings that they didn't use loop so the app could run smoother and faster.  And I actually like the fact that they don't have looping, at first that wasn't the case but now I'm good with that because like the function and use of creating a video, watching a video is now made simple as well (along with not slowing down the app).  Plus it gives you the option to play the video rather than automatically playing it as you scroll through your feed, which again, could slow down the app.

Okay, I just remembered one more thing I'm excited to see with this new feature and that's fashion related posts!!  I've posted a few Vines of my outfits and things that I'm wearing and so it will be fun to see my favorite make up artists, nail artists and beauty gurus show quick tutorials and trends to their followers.  I'm very excited for those accounts because a lot of those people are their own business and it's exciting to watch how they come up with ideas to get followers and people interested in their style and making a name for themselves.  I think this is a great opportunity for them to grow as artists and again, I'm very excited to see their and to see what they come up with!

Alright..that's it for now!  I kind of just poured all my thoughts out and got this done before I forgot anything I wanted to say about the subject!  Now I'm off to create my first vide to get people to read this!  @brittybaby105

No comments:

Post a Comment